PROJECT NUMBER: 13-1
PROJECT TITLE: “Development of High Early-Strength Concrete for Accelerated Bridge Construction Closure Pour Connections”
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR(S) & UNIVERSITY(S): Sergio F. Brena (BI) – University of Massachusetts Amherst, Scott A. Civjan (Co-PI) – University of Massachusetts Amherst
AGREEMENT TERM: 9/1/2014 – 4/2/2016
ANTICIPATED COMPLETION: 8/31/2016
A no cost extension is expected to be requested to accommodate the current coordination contract that NETC has with the University of Vermont. The proposed project was for 24 months.
PROJECT OBJECTIVES: To develop and validate concrete mixtures capable of developing high early strength without detrimentally affecting their long-term durability. The mixtures are for use in projects using accelerated bridge construction methods.
PROGRESS/ACCOMPLISHMENTS THROUGH MARCH 31, 2015:
- Initiated the literature review by collecting and summarizing research reports and journal papers.
- Reviewed ASTM/AASHTO materials testing standards that are applicable to the project.
- Prepared a survey that was sent to New England State DOTs and precast/prestressed producer members of the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee.
- Met at the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee to discuss project and seek feedback.
- Executed a kickoff meeting with members of the NETC Project Technical Committee.
- Compiled and analyzed responses to the survey that was sent to New England State DOTs and precast/prestressed producer members of the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee, including previously used high-early strength concrete mix designs and specifications.
- Began to prepare concrete mix design specifications based on the literature review and feedback from surveys.
- Began a written summary of the literature review including main findings of relevant research reports, technical papers and survey
- Tested preliminary concrete mix designs and compared test results using compressive strength tests on 4 by 8 in. cylinders and work-ability of each trial
- Adjusted existing concrete mix design specifications based on preliminary test results; design specifications will continue to be modified throughout the duration of the
REPORTS/PAPERS PUBLISHED, PRESENTATIONS MADE RELATING TO THIS PROJECT FROM THE START OF THE PROJECT THROUGH MARCH 31, 2015: None thus far.
TECHNICAL COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Chairperson Maura Sullivan: Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Jim Amrol: New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Jennifer M.V. Fitch, PE: Vermont Agency of Transportation
Christopher Hart: Rhode Island Department of Transportation
Ali Jamalipour: Connecticut Department of Transportation
José Lima: Rhode Island Department of Transportation
Michael Redmond: Maine Department of Transportation